Yep, that brilliant piece of travel advice came from none other than Yogi Berra. I’m kind of a quote fan so I thought I’d share a few words of wit and wisdom about travel that I’ve stumbled over in my recent armchair travels. Enjoy!
1. “If you’re not living on the edge, you’re taking up too much space.” unknown
2. “All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware” – Martin Buber
3. “When preparing to travel, lay out all of your clothes and all of your money. Then take half the clothes and twice the money” Susan Heller
4. “I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.” Susan Sontage
5. “If at some point you don’t ask yourself, ‘What have I gotten myself into?’ then you’re not doing it right.” Roland Gau
7. “I travel light. I think the most important thing is to be in a good mood and enjoy life, wherever you are.” Diane von Furstenberg
8. “Our happiest moments as tourists always seem to come when we stumble upon one thing while in pursuit of something else.” Lawrence Block
9. “A journey of a thousand miles begins with a cash advance.”
10. “Don’t be a tourist. Plan less. Go slowly. I traveled in the most inefficient way possible and it took me exactly where I wanted to go.” National Geographic’s Andrew Evans on his 40 day, 40 bus journey from Washington D.C. to Antartica
11. “Travel makes one modest, you see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.” Gustave Flaubert
12. “Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and celebrate the journey.” Fitzhugh Mullan
13. “The great difference between voyages rests not with the ships, but with the people you meet on them.” Amelia E. Barr
15. “If you look like your passport photo, you are too ill to travel. Will Kommen
What’s your favorite travel quote? I’ll add it to my list.